I-CARE is a service learning program that provides opportunities for junior high students to volunteer during their study hall. Each week, the service learning coordinator transports participating students to the I-CARE partner sites and chaperons the students while they volunteer. Each visit is about 24 minutes long ensuring students are back to school before the next class period. Both Indian Hills and Stilwell junior high schools have I-CARE programs. Any student in seventh or eighth grade with a second through seventh-period study hall can participate in I-CARE.
Some of the service learning sites include:
- Backpack Buddies
- Crestview School of Inquiry
- Crossroads Park Elementary
- Glen Oaks Alzheimer Center
- Jordan Creek Kennels
- Manor Care
- Meals from the Heartland
- National Speech & Debate Association
- Walnut Ridge Senior Community
- West Des Moines Children’s Museum
- West Des Moines Library and Clive Library
- West Des Moines Social Services
- Western Hills and Westridge Tiger Cubs Preschool
I-CARE coordinators also work closely with building principals and teachers to provide school-wide days of service or volunteerism.