Gyms are used by the athletic teams, community youth leagues, and community adult leagues. Over 400 youth or adult basketball and volleyball teams playing and practicing in the gyms each year.
About the Gyms
Click here for specific information about elementary and secondary gym space.
- Wooden floors are located at Indian Hills and Stilwell Junior High School, Valley High School and Valley Southwoods.
- All elementary gyms are 85 by 50 feet courts except Clive Learning Academy and Crestview School of Inquiry , which are 75 feet long.
- All secondary gyms are 85 by 50 feet, although the Valley Southwoods Freshman High School south court is 38 feet wide and the north court is 43 feet wide.
- Groups must dust mop the floor before and after use (sweep up the dust and dirt into a dustpan and deposit in the garbage).
- Food or drink (except water) is not allowed in the gyms.
- Bouncing of balls in the hallways is not allowed (lights and glass display cases can easily break).
- Hard bats and balls are not allowed for batting practice. Plastic bats and wiffle balls are allowed.
- Power soccer kicking is not allowed in the gyms.
- User is responsible for providing own equipment.
- Please enter and exit the gym at your scheduled time – be fair to the other gym groups.
For fee information please call 515-633-5060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Payment is required prior to use. Check, cash, and credit cards are acceptable forms of payment. Payments can be sent by mail or made in person to WDMCS Community Education, Attn. Facility Use, 3550 Mills Civic Parkway, West Des Moines, IA 50265, or by phone at 515-633-5060.
Requesting a Gym
Gym spaces are in high demand. Submitting your request early results in a better chance of securing the space and time that you have requested. Please note that gyms requests are addressed in late August after all WDMCS and partner activities have been scheduled.
Hold Harmless Agreement
The User of the Facility agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the District and its officials, employees, and agents from and against any and all claims, liabilities, damages, and expenses, including attorney fees and costs, arising from use of the Facility, and/or the Facility grounds or contents, by the User and its officials, employees, agents, and invitees, including but not limited to damage to or theft of District property. The User will provide proof of liability insurance in the appropriate limits to the District. The User agrees to observe and comply with all existing District Board policies and procedures, and the Community Education Facility Use Guidelines and Community Education Group Representative Responsibility, copies of which are the responsibility of the User to acquire. The User acknowledges the District’s right to cancel any agreement to allow use of the Facility, in which case as much advance notice as possible will be given and any prepaid charges will be refunded, and the District’s right to revoke the further use of the Facility by the User. The User may not assign or otherwise transfer its scheduled use of the Facility without the prior written consent of the District, nor shall the User misrepresent or abuse scheduling of the Facility.
You are responsible for providing proof of Liability Insurance. If your group does not have Liability Insurance, your Home Owner’s Policy will have a liability portion within it that will cover your event. If you have questions or concerns, you can contact your provider. Proof of insurance can be emailed, mailed, or faxed.
District events assume priority and have the right to cancel or postpone non-district activities.
The Facility Use department follows the decision of WDMCS for weather-related closings. Call 515-633-5555 for an up-to-date recording about weather-related cancellations, dismissals, and closings.