Develop valuable relationships and empower families from diverse backgrounds by volunteering to teach English Skills for Parents. Lesson plans should keep the school calendar in mind and touch on important info parents need, such as parent-teacher conferences, attendance, and how to help children reinforce their learning at home. Through this class, parents practice English, build their knowledge about the US school system, and connect more confidently to their children’s education.
Intercultural Outreach Coordinator
Approximately 2 hours per week
Schedule and location
WDMCS Elementary schools, one day per week, exact locations & dates to be determined
- Age 18+
- No teaching experience required, but experience as a WDMCS parent is a plus!
- Near-native fluency in English (native speakers of languages other than English are encouraged to apply, especially Spanish, Arabic, and Chin speakers)
- Access to reliable transportation
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, interest in others
- Patience and respect for individuals from diverse backgrounds who may have had disrupted formal education and other challenges in their lives
- Proficient using a variety of technologies
- Commitment to protecting learners’ right to confidentiality
- Able to commit to a regular schedule for one 10-week session (fall and/or spring)
- Prepare and lead one-hour lessons once per week during 10-week sessions
- Share teaching strategies and lesson ideas with fellow volunteers
- Maintain weekly sign-in sheet to record attendance
- Encourage student participation with incentive program
- Support student goal achievement and overall English program success
Additional duties and responsibilities
- Attend volunteer orientation and Adult ELL Academy training
- Meet with Intercultural Outreach Coordinator periodically during session to discuss your experience and provide input about student progress
- Write a short reflection (<1 page) about your experience to help with program improvement and fundraising efforts
Email Caitlin Quirk at firstname.lastname@example.org to express interest!