WDMCS Community Education is excited to start this blog to share with you, the community, information regarding our programs, services, events, news, and also material that is relevant to you as a community member – adult, youth, early childhood, and/or senior. We welcome the opportunity for you to leave comments and start conversations with us. Also, if there is something that you would like to hear more about, let us know. Please check out our website at commed.wdmcs.org and connect with us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/wdmced, twitter @WDMCSComEd, and Pinterest at wdmcscomed.
WDMCS Community Education is the outreach department of West Des Moines Community School District. We provide opportunities for learning, service, and fun to people of all ages. We offer a variety of programs, services, and event to the WDMCS district. Below is a break down of the opportunities that we offer.
- The Community Education Advisory Council (CEAC) is a group of citizens who identify community needs and find ways to meet those needs.
- Facility Use offers a variety of spaces that are accessible to community members who are in search of a convenient and affordable location for their activity or event
- Learnapalooza is the fun, fabulous, and free family event held annually to celebrate learning.
- Brighter Beginnings supports parents and caregivers of children ages 12 months to five years, looking to boost their parenting skills.
- Our different Preschool Programs provide high-quality preschool opportunities for children ages three and four.
- Teen parenting classes are offered to pregnant and parenting teens at the Walnut Creek Campus with a trained parent educator.
- Adventures offer fun and interesting learning opportunities for K-8 students after school and on weekends.
- Intramurals provide opportunities for junior high and high school students to enjoy a variety of recreational sports after school.
- Kids West provides safe, affordable, and convenient before-and-after school care for grades K-6.
- Service Learning facilitates opportunities for students to serve their community.
- Summer of Learning offers fun and enriching educational experiences for students grades K-8 during the summer months.
- The Tutor Directory is provided as a resource for the WDMCS students and parents.
- LEARNwest offers a wide range of classes for adults who want to expand their skills, make everyday life better, and want to try something new.
- Wellness opportunities are offered to WDMCS employees to help them adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles and work in safe and productive environments.
- Iowa Senior Olympics began in 1986 to give adults, age 50 and over, a competitive opportunity to stay active and increase their quality of life.
- Read To Me is a Service Learning Program that facilitates intergenerational learning between third graders and residents of local retirement communities.